Reading Notes: More Jatakas Part A

The Monkey and the Crocodile - I liked the fact that both characters had their flaws. The monkey was greedy and the crocodile was stupid. I also found it quite humorous that they were literally saying their nefarious plans to one another.

How the Turtle saved his own life - I really liked this one! I adore happy endings, and I am happy that the turtle was responsible for getting his own happy ending. I like this message as well, so I may want to do the story over this.

The Merchant of Seri - I also liked this story, but I wish the grandmother and daughter profited more than the merchant. I also like jatakas with animal characters more.

The Turtle who Couldn't Stop Talking - There is definitely a Western version of this jataka that is very similar! I remember reading a similar story in a book of fables when I was around 5. I think the Western version focuses more on the turtle's pride.

The Ox who Won the Forfeit - This particular jataka is written in a very straightforward, simple way. It also features both talking people and animals.

The Sandy Road - This one is set up a bit differently. Most jatakas (and fables) have a message/moral that is only clear at the end. In this jataka, the moral/message was evident 3/4 into it, and the ending was kind of anti-climatic.

The Quarrel of the Quails - Even though good did not triumph, I liked this jataka's message! It was about the importance of working together and how quarreling with one another can totally lead the whole group astray. This might be the basis of my story later, except maybe more drawn out, and with a happier ending with the quails not dying.

The Measure of Rice - I did not like the ending of this one. Both the bad valuer and the king had flaws and both were responsible for the folly in the story, but only the valuer got punished for this.

The Foolish, Timid Rabbit - This jataka reminds me of Chicken Little - "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

Bhutanese painted thanka [Source]

Bibliography. Jataka Tales. Ellen C. Babbitt. Source.

Comments

Popular Posts