Reading Notes: Jatakas by Rouse Part A

The Giant Crab - My favorite animal is the elephant, so I'm quite happy that they were named the king/queen of the land.

The Hypocritical Cat - What a fitting end for the cat - death by getting eaten alive by his prey

The Crocodile and the Monkey - This story was very well written! I loved the extra details the author added, such as describing the crocodile's love for his wife.

The Wise Parrot and the Foolish Parrot - I would like to characterize myself as the wise parrot on the basis of being quieter and wanting to talk less.

The Dishonest Friend - Several of these jatakas are sounding more and more familiar. I think some of them are retellings of the same story.

The Mouse and the Farmer - I do wonder why the farmer had to make such an elaborate plan to eliminate his cat, instead of just sending him off.

The Talkative Tortoise - Moral of the story - don't talk so much.

The Monkeys and the Gardener - This is also another retelling of a jataka that I've read, but this is a much better written one.

The Goblin and the Sneeze - The end of this one is so funny! They got him to become a vegetarian. I very much like that twist.

The Goblin in the Pool - I enjoyed the fact that a human helps out the monkeys against the goblin.

The Foolish Farmer and the King - Aw, I also liked the end of this one! It's nice to have a kind king.

The Pious Wolf - I agree with the fairy. You should always do things for the reasons they were intended for, not because you were coerced or forced into it.

"The Giant Crab, and Other Tales from Old India" [link]

Bibliography - The Giant Crab, and Other Tales from Old India. W. H. D. Rouse. Source.

Comments

Popular Posts