Reading Notes: Ramayana Part C

Tara wailing over a dying Vali [source]

Bibliography - Multiple Authors. Public Domain Edition Ramayana. Link.

There are so many twists and turns over the course of this story that involve new characters, I think they need some clarification so I remember them later.

Hanuman - messenger of Sugriva, a monkey
Vali and Sugriva - the brothers who fight, Vali ends up dying
Tara - Vali's wife, tries to stop Vali from fighting against Sugriva, would potentially be an interesting character to write about
Sampata and Jatayu - vulture brothers, Jatayu has died, Sampata cannot use his wings from flying too close to the sun
Vibhishana - Ravana's brother, wants him to return Sita
Ravana - kidnapper of Sita, evil, king of the Rakshasas

This part of the Ramayana is also interesting because you don't really see Rama doing much work, the focus is on other characters.

Additionally, Sita has still not been saved, and there isn't like a strict establishment of the timeline. How long has Sita been kidnapped? Also, how long has Rama's exile been now?

Since there have been so many twists and turns, it's hard to remember what the original purpose of Rama being reincarnated as a god was. 

Also, I noticed that several more parts were written in the poem style. Today, I noticed that some of these were really hard to understand due to the format. Some of them were phrased differently or used more arcane words to keep the rhyme pattern, and it was in such a manner that it made it difficult to understand it. If I end up doing a poem in the future, I'll try my best not to do this.

Everything in these stories seems to be very dramatized with longer descriptions, so hopefully I can emulate that more in my story.

Comments

Popular Posts