Reading Notes: Mahabharata Part C

"Virtue is greater than life and prosperity in this world; it is the way to celestial bliss."

I feel like the above mentioned quote is a very common theme among these stories.

"Clad in scant clothes made of grass and deer-skin, he lived upon withered leaves and fallen fruits, and month after month he reduced his allowance of these till in the fourth month he was able to live on air alone, taking no other food whatever."

Another prominent, recurring theme seems to be the significance and importance of austerity, so that you can obtain the favor of the gods.

I really enjoy reading these stories, but they have so many twists that sometimes it's hard to remember what the overall plot line is - my concentration isn't that good!

At least now Yudhishthira gained some skill in playing dice. I really hope he wins back everything by playing again. It would be very poetic. If not, that might be the plot my story this week.

I'm not quite sure as to how these stories play into Hinduism. Some of the sayings (as in what Hanuman says to Bhima) sort of remind me of the teachings of Buddha that I've learned in my history classes.

I'm very happy that Duryodhana got captured and defeated by the gandharvas.

"Then Karna took a vow and said, "I will neither eat venison nor wash my feet until I have slain Arjuna.""

This would be an interesting twist to explore, something lighthearted about Karna's smelly feet.

I wonder why Yudhishthra asked for his second boon for them not to be recognized for the next year. Another possible twist to explore in a story

Draupadi almost seems like she's a little high maintenance; her actions make me laugh.

Yaas! I am very happy that Draupadi got her justice this time!

Arjuna and Krishna going to battle [source]

Bibliography - PDE Mahabharata. Multiple Authors. Link.

Comments

Popular Posts