Reading Notes: More Jatakas Part B

The Wise and Foolish Merchant - I was not expecting the twist with the demons. I thought the moral/message would be tied more amongst to something between the two merchants themselves. I'm not a huge fan of demons popping up in jatakas.

The Elephant Girly-Face - I could not help but laugh every time I read the name Girly-face. That aside, I wish this story had more action in it. I could add something about how the elephant saw something that made him want to be kind again instead of just listening to people talking about being kind.

The Banyan Deer - My major impression from this story was why didn't the king realize the consequences of his actions prior to the deer king offering up his own neck for the king to eat?

The Princes and the Water-Sprite - This reminded me of Bharata and how his mother wanted him to rule. I kind of want to rewrite this story to make the 3rd prince more evil.

The King's White Elephant - This jataka didn't have a clear-cut message or moral like most jatakas do. Was the elephant being rewarded for listening to his father?

The Ox Who Never Envied the Pig - This reminded me of the fable about the Wolf and the Dog where the Dog talks to the Wolf about how great his life is and how much abundant food he has but the wolf realizes that this life comes at the price of freedom and believes that freedom is more important than these perks.

Grannie's Blackie - I feel like the bond between Grannie and Blackie, the elephant, is very comparable to the bond between a dog and his owner. This was a cute little story.

The Crab and the Crane - I naturally root for fish over crabs so I do wish that at least some of the fish had survived in addition to the crab.

Why the Owl is not King of the Birds - I find it funny that the owl is not the king of the birds because he has RBF. RBF has a longer standing in history than I thought.

I feel like this crane could be the evil one in the Crab and the Crane since it's got those red eyes. [source]

Bibliography. Jataka Tales. Ellen C. Babbitt. Source.

Comments

Popular Posts