Story Lab: Reading EmpoWord Chapter 2

I found this chapter really helpful to me, because I am not a natural storyteller or writer. In classes, I prefer tests over essays, and I stress over essays hard core. It has been less stressful to write these stories for class, but they do take me a little while to get going and I don't think they're the best they could be.

I wanna try to use more dynamic characters and epiphanies in my stories from this point on, as well as try to set up the mood/tone a little bit more.

I also really liked how they compared plot to a photograph, because that really does illustrate well the fact that different photos have different boundaries and perspectives. So far, I think I have been doing a good job of not widening my scope too much.

I do worry that sequence in my stories goes too fast, since they are short stories and there's less time to build.

POV - I think I feel most comfortable using 3rd person, limited or omniscient. I did try first person for my story last week, and that went okay, but it was also more of a soliloquy than a story.

I haven't yet used dialogue between different characters in a story, and that's because I find it awkward to put that into a story. I feel like I've seen examples of how that can feel forced/awkward and not set up correctly, and so I don't want to do it.

I also do really want to experiment with different modes of stories. I would like to do a story in a poem format for this class eventually.

But is there ever really an end? [source]

Comments

  1. Hi Deborah,

    I totally feel where you are coming from. As a biology major, writing is not my favorite activity. I, too, need to work on my storytelling. It is definitely a skill that requires practice. I do believe these story labs are helpful, though. I agree with your point about dialogue. I have tried it, but it is often difficult to incorporate.

    -Andy McDowell

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts